When Carl van der Merwe was at Quoin Rock in the late 2000s, prior to his move to De Morgenzon and more recently his emigration to Canada, he conceived a much-admired wooded Sauvignon Blanc labeled as The Nicobar.
The White Blend 2018, as made by Jacques Maree now of Maree Family Wines, is essentially still a wooded Sauvignon Blanc, with this variety at 92% and the remaining 8% consisting of Semillon, grapes from both Stellenbosch and Quoin Rock’s Boskloof holdings in Agulhas. Fermented and matured for six months mainly in tank but including a small portion in second-fill barrels, the nose shows citrus, white peach and blackcurrant plus a hint of vanilla while the palate is rich and full with nicely integrated acidity and a gently savoury finish. With dense fruit and a creamy texture, this is polished in every sense of the word. Price: R350 a bottle.
CE’s rating: 92/100.