Keermont Topside Syrah
The Topside Syrah vineyard is situated high up on the West facing mid-slopes of the Stellenbosch Mountain range (Elevation 350m). It was planted in 2006 on rocky soils consisting of sandstone and granite, weathered from the peaks above. Vines are trellised and run with the contour in a North South direction. The elevation, soil and aspect all contribute to spicy character and fine tannin structure of this wine. The views from the top of this vineyard west to Table Mountain are simply breath taking.
All grapes used in producing our wines are grown on Keermont Vineyards. Small parcels of grapes are specifically selected according to ripeness, harvested by hand and vinified separately. This process is carried out gently and naturally in open top fermenters using traditional methods only. This wine spent 20 months maturing in seasoned 500 litre French oak barrels before being bottled by hand without filtration. Only 2541 bottles were produced.
Dark plummy red in colour, this wine has a beautiful bouquet of black fruit with hints of violets, stems and white pepper. The palate is clean and elegant with a tight acidity and spicy fruit flavours with floral notes. The tight chalky tannin structure gives the wine a succulent dry finish with lingering flavours of red fruit, anise, fennel and a mineral saltiness. Drink 2018-2030.
- TOPSIDE SYRAH 15: 96 TIM ATKIN (MW)
- TOPSIDE SYRAH 15: 4 ½ stars PLATTER GUIDE
- TOPSIDE SYRAH 15: 94 pts NEAL MARTIN
- TOPSIDE SYRAH 14: 93 pts NEAL MARTIN (Wine Advocate)
- TOPSIDE SYRAH 14: 95 pts TIM ATKIN (MW)
- TOPSIDE SYRAH 14: 5 stars PLATTER GUIDE 2017
- TOPSIDE SYRAH 12: 95 pts TIM ATKIN (MW)
- TOPSIDE SYRAH 12: 94 pts NEAL MARTIN (Wine Advocate)
- TOPSIDE SYRAH 12: 4½ stars PLATTER GUIDE